In the world of fashion, there are few males as iconic as those that have come to define and shape the styles we recognize today. From rock stars to royalty, the most influential male style icons have redefined the fashion world by embracing new trends, expressing radical ideas, and setting the trend for others to follow. From James Dean to David Bowie, this article will take an intimate look at the men who have changed the face of fashion through the decades.
1. The ‘Godfathers’ of Male Fashion
When it comes to fashion, there are some men who can always be relied upon to bring a certain something that elevates the concept of looking good from head-to-toe. From the red carpet to the pages of the best men’s magazines, these fashionistas are the constant trendsetters who have become iconic for their timeless taste. Here, we take a look at some of the most influential male fashionistas that deserve to be called the ‘Godfathers’ of styling modern menswear.
- David Beckham – Whether in a designer suit or sportswear, former footballer Beckham is the original impeccably stylish dad. His made-to-measure looks have elevated the power of the suit, while his simple use of basics has sparked trends and made his clothes attainable for all.
- Kanye West – If there is one thing that Kanye loves, it’s clothes. Recognized for his outlandish dress sense and style risks, Kanye has been transforming hip-hop dress for decades. Although not always successful, West’s spontaneity in the fashion world can’t be denied.
- Ryan Gosling – Heartthrob actor Ryan Gosling first captured the world’s attention with his fashionable suiting and classic yet modern wardrobe staples. Since then, his clean lines and tailored elegance have made him both a style icon and a role model.
- Pharrell Williams – King of the unexpected, Williams stands out with his stylistic creations. You never know in what kind of shape his suit will be. His bold colours and patterns act as an inspiration to fashion designers around the globe.
These four men are just a handful of famous faces that have made an impact on male fashion. Whether it’s Kanye’s boundary pushing choices, David Beckham’s classic sophistication, Ryan Gosling’s quiet confidence or Pharrell Williams’ innovative style, they all influence the way men choose to dress in today’s fashion climate.
These fashion veterans have paved the way for more cutting edge looks. They are the role models that have led to men being confident in their everyday fashion choices and no longer scared to push the envelope, truly becoming the ‘godfathers’ of modern men’s fashion.
2. Dressing to Impress: Male Style Icons
When it comes to fashion and style, it’s hard to look past some of the most iconic male style icons from throughout history. From dapper tailoring to timeless casual pieces, these men have proven that style transcends eras.
1. David Beckham
David Beckham has long been a style icon for men across the world. His ever-evolving style consistently combines classic British charm with clean and timeless pieces. He’s a master of mixing classic colours such as navy and grey, to trend-led fashion forward pieces. With a range of suave suits, cool streetwear, and his own fashion line, Beckham is a certified style icon.
2. Tom Ford
Tom Ford has been a major influence in the fashion industry since launching his own eponymous label. The designer is known for his luxury tailoring and statement-making pieces. His impeccable style is both classic and bold. When it comes to suiting, Ford’s slim-fit suits are second to none.
3. James Dean
James Dean’s style is timeless and has been a major inspiration for many style icons over the years. He popularised his casual style featuring jeans, t-shirts, and leather jackets – which is now considered a classic look. His iconic outfits combined vintage-inspired items with staple classics that stood the test of time.
4. Steve McQueen
Steve McQueen is another major icon in the world of male style. His effortless look was mainly comprised of basics like jeans, polo shirts, and his trademark striped sweater. McQueen’s style was all about appearing cool and effortless while still looking smart and put together.
5. Brad Pitt
Brad Pitt’s style has been evolving for years and his modern take on classic menswear is a showstopper. From his killer suits to his preppy polo shirts, Pitt’s effortlessly cool style has made him a major style icon. His choices of bold colours and statement pieces have redefined menswear for a new era.
These male style icons have truly left their mark on fashion and redefined the way men approach style. Dressing to impress has never been easier with these five timeless style icons.
3. Redefining the Fashion Norm: The Legacy of the ‘Greats’
The fashion industry had a majorly influential overhaul in past centuries, thanks to the input of certain innovators within the sector. Some can be considered ‘greats’ for their far-reaching influence in the realm of fashion, taking it to places no one thought possible before. Let’s take a look at three of the most inspiring fashion pioneers of all time and their far-reaching legacy.
Coco Chanel was a titan of the fashion world, being one of the first to introduce the concept of ready-to-wear and casual clothing for women. By upending the status quo when it came to clothing over a hundred years ago, she still has her presence felt in the fashion industry today through her iconic brand Chanel which has defined class and sophistication for millions ever since.
Christian Dior had a unique vision for fashion, one which brought about explosive growth after the Second World War. His designs were defined by luxurious fabrics and bold silhouettes, tailored to flatter the wearer’s shape. Christian Dior’s influence still affects the fashion world today, such as the return of flowing evening gowns that embrace curves and celebrate the body.
Yves Saint Laurent was a risk-taker who revolutionized fashion and established the concept of modern luxury. With his rise to fame in the late 1950s, he brought forth a new world of creativity – modernizing the Little Black Dress with the iconic Le Smoking suit, and making luxurious evening wear an everyday affair. His impact on fashion continues to influence style today, from signature pieces bearing his name to designer collaborations pushed forward by established names in the fashion industry.
In summary, the fashion ‘greats’ we have discussed were not limited to their own eras. The impact they have had on the industry is far-reaching, easily surpassing the bounds of time. There is much to gain from learning of their story, as well as their innovative and revolutionary approach to fashion which is still admired and aspired to today.
4. Celebrating the Visionary Men Who Reshaped Men’s Fashion
Fashion has gone through several stages of evolution throughout the years, and a few radiant men put in immense effort to redefine it. These pioneers created a unique legacy that moved away from traditional norms, and established some of the trends we love today. Let’s take a look at some of the most inspirational figures who crafted the contemporary face of men’s fashion.
- Coco Chanel: Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel was a fashion designer and businesswoman who started the iconic fashion house in Paris 100 years ago. She revolutionised menswear with new cuts and styles, such as tuxedos and trousers for women.
- Yves Saint Laurent: One of the most famous fashion designers in the world, Yves Saint Laurent invented modern classics such as the Beatle boot and the safari jacket. His bold designs changed the way people viewed menswear and even gained him recognition from the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
- Giorgio Armani: The Italian designer Giorgio Armani began his career in the 70s and quickly became a favourite among the Hollywood elite. Armani is credited for introducing a contemporary approach to menswear, using comfortable fabrics and cuts that still appear in stores today.
- Tom Ford: Another influential designer, Tom Ford is a revolutionary who brought his own aesthetic to the men’s fashion world. He has designed for many luxury fashion houses, including Gucci, and developed a signature silhouette that is beloved by men around the world.
- Ralph Lauren: Ralph Lauren is a renowned designer who is known for creating an all-American style that still continues to inspire people today. His iconic polo shirt and Scotch & Soda jeans have become staples in menswear, as well as his revival of vintage silhouettes and the use of bright and bold colours.
- Alexander McQueen: The British designer was known for pushing the boundaries of fashion and creating some of the most outrageous and daring collections. McQueen’s iconic designs made him one of the most popular designers of his generation, and he has become a household name.
These six modern fashion pioneers demonstrated that anything is possible with their unique sense of style, making it easier for men to express their individuality. Even today their impact can still be felt, with designers taking inspiration from their designs and creating modern updates that still have a timeless appeal.
For their ingenuity and creative flair, these stellar men should be appreciated and admired for their contributions to the world of fashion.
Today’s style trendsetters are often recognized for their wardrobe choices, but thanks to the legacy of past influential male style icons, we have a foundation from which they can continue to innovate and inspire. The contribution of these men to fashion is unparalleled, truly making them forces of nature in the fashion world.